I hope this finds you safe and well during these unprecedented times for intercollegiate athletics and our nation. Multiple conferences have now postponed fall soccer and intercollegiate championships cancelled at the NCAA Division II, III, NAIA, NJCAA and the CCCAA levels.
I wanted you to be aware of our plans to continue our comprehensive awards and recognition program for whether your school will play this fall or move to spring competition. Our Awards Committee, National Awards Chairs and their committees have begun discussion on how to best adapt those new timetables, policies and procedures to recognize excellence for both fall and spring competition.
Normally, we are under a tight timetable in order to have fall awards completed in time for recognition at our annual convention. That event was recently cancelled in lieu of a digital event in January, leaving us flexible to recognize fall and spring soccer achievement.
Final details will be determined and communicated to coaches this fall but rest assured the following recognition programs will continue and extended to members:
- College Rankings – We will continue to administer team rankings which will be sponsored by our new corporate partner Verizon for both men and women at every level of the college game.
- All-America – Coaches will have the opportunity to nominate and participate in the selection of deserving players including All-Region recognition.
- Scholar All-America – The committee has already indicated that nominations will open after the first of the year regardless of the season of play. This will also allow GPAs to include academic achievement through the fall semester for this important player recognition program.
- Staff of the Year – Recognition of outstanding achievement by coaching staffs in the fall or spring will be combined to select Region and National Staffs of the Year. This most likely will also include attention to those that have been recognized by their conferences.
- Team Academic Award – Annually one of the most popular and important recognition awards for team performance in the classroom, the 2019-20 awards will be announced in late September and the 2020-21 nominations will open this spring for members.
- Sportsmanship and Ethics Awards – These awards will continue to be bestowed to teams at every level in recognition of limited card accumulation during their season of play.
- Pinnacle Awards – This popular new addition last year will return in 2020-21 for programs that meet standards combining success on the field, in the classroom and through sportsmanship.
- Other Awards – Various other recognition for college members include coaching win certificates, the annual Bill Jeffrey College Long-Term Service Award and the Jerry Yeagley Award for Outstanding Personal Achievement presented to a former college soccer player.