Welcome to the February 2020 Newsletter of the Black Coaches Advocacy Group. In an effort to better our communication efforts we will be sending a monthly newsletter to all of our group members so that we are all on the same page with all this group is doing.
Black History Month Spotlights
Our group, along with the United Soccer Coaches, is spotlighting important figures within our community this month. The first two we have shared are Kalekeni Banda and Charmaine Hooper. Read all about both of them here and read about them and others on our Facebook page through out the rest of February.
Historic 2020 United Soccer Coaches Convention in Baltimore
The 2020 United Soccer Coaches Convention was a historic event for our group.
- We lead over 25 sessions, panels, or activities throughout the week.
- Three of our members, Mike Curry, Karla Thompson, and Kendall Reyes, were recognized by their peers and presented awards at the convention.
- Nine young women were drafted to an NWSL team
- Portland Thorns FC – Sophia Smith, Stanford University (#1 pick of draft)
- Utah Royals FC – Tziarra King, North Carolina State University
- Orlando Pride – Konya Plummer, University of Central Florida
- Orlando Pride – Abi Kim, University of California, Berkeley
- Chicago Red Stars – Aerial Chavarin, Yale University
- Washington Spirit – Kaiya McCullough, UCLA
- Utah Royals FC – Cyera Hintzen, University of Texas, Austin
- Sky Blue FC – Chantelle Swaby, Rutgers University
- North Carolina Courage – Addisyn Merrick, University of Kansas
United Soccer Coaches Podcast
Our very own Chairwoman, Nicole Hercules, was interviewed for the latest United Soccer Coaches Podcast. Give it a listen, here.
Opportunities to pass along
Manhattan Sports Business Academy – Summer Internship placement
In addition to this monthly newsletter and our Facebook page, we are adding Slack to the communication toolbox. You can learn more about Slack here. Slack will allow us to streamline our communication and keep it organized using the channel process. In order for Slack to be a great communication tool, we need you to contribute. The first way to contribute is to introduce yourself in the #intro channel – basically give us your elevator pitch (name, where you live, how you are involved in soccer (coach, admin, fan, etc.)/quick bio. Look forward to seeing you on Slack…Join here!
If you would like to submit content for the March newsletter, please send an email to email@example.com by Feb. 23, 2019.
Have a great week!