Code of Ethics
In June of 2022, the United Soccer Coaches Board of Directors updated and approved our Code of Ethics, the text of which appears below, and which was implemented immediately. It is provided here as a service to our members.
Code of Ethics
For more than 80 years, The United Soccer Coaches has provided leadership in enhancing, advocating for, and honoring excellence, responsibility and integrity among its members. The Ethics Committee created and the Board of Directors of United Soccer Coaches approved a revised Code of Ethics, as set forth below, for the purpose of stating the Association’s standards for professional conduct.
We believe that the paramount job of coaches is the holistic development, welfare, enjoyment, and safety of their players as ultimately, soccer is the players’ game. Consistent with those beliefs, coaches shall:
- Stress fair play by observing the Laws of the Game and strive for high levels of sporting conduct.
- Model grace, dignity and composure, win or lose.
- Promote the principle that everyone is worthy of being treated with respect and dignity and refrain from taunting and any act that demeans, disrespects, or threatens anyone.
- Support diversity by modeling inclusive behavior, and creating opportunities for engagement.
- Oppose discrimination based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation and any other form.
- Never engage in any verbal, physical, emotional or sexual abuse or harassment.
- Model and advocate for a healthy lifestyle and take an active role in preventing the use of tobacco, illegal or performance enhancing drugs, as well as illegal use of alcohol and help guide those in need of assistance to appropriate care.
- Adhere to the highest standards and regulations of the institutions they represent.
Members who have questions concerning this Code of Ethics and Conduct or who wish to become involved with the committee’s work in ethics for the sport of soccer, please contact:
Dr. William (Bill) SteffenChair, United Soccer Coaches Ethics Committee Wingate University315 E Wilson St, Wingate, NC email@example.comOffice Phone: (704) 233-8679 Email: