LGBT Soccer Coaches and Allies
Dan Woog, Chair
We provide one-on-one LBGT support. Whether you’ve got a quick question about LGBT issues, or have a complex scenario – we’re here to help. United Soccer Coaches offers a totally anonymous, confidential service to members.
Send us your questions or concerns. Members of our organization’s LGBT study group will respond soon, by email.
2017 Convention: An LGBT and Allies Success
Los Angeles was THE place to be this year. The annual United Soccer Coaches Convention crackled with excitement and energy – and the LGBT and Allies coaching community was in the middle of it all.
Every year we hold a “Conversations” meeting. This year’s attendance was the highest ever, with a diverse mix of youth, high school, club and college coaches. The talk ranged from general coaching questions, to specifics about individual situations.
The LGBT and Allies coaching community sponsored an interactive workshop on the importance of diversity and inclusion for coaches. We also participated on a panel about “Creating Diverse Leadership in Your Club.”
We heard plenty of positive feedback on our Diversity and Inclusion online coaching course (see the right side of this page for more information). Many people had already taken it, and loved it — but some did not know about it. We continue to spread the word about this great initiative.
One of our projects for this coming year is an LGBT and Allies Awareness Weekend. Teams will be invited to wear rainbow laces on their soccer shoes, showing support LGBT players and coaches. Plans are still in the works!
United Soccer Coaches truly values our LGBT and Allies group. They look to us as advocacy leaders, and respect the work we’ve done. Their support is crucial.
So is yours! If you’d like to get involved in any way, we’re happy to have you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Below are links to many resources provided by the LBGT membership group, but feel free to contact the members of our organization for any more inquires.
- Google Hangout on Creating Safe Space for LGBTQ Athletes: Be A Winning Coach
- LGBT: Diversity and Inclusion online course
- LGBT programs and projects that you can be involved in
- List of LBGT blogs and news to follow about issues in the sport
- A guide to LGBT-friendly colleges and scholarship opportunities for LGBT students
- A suggested read from Outsports about a Gay W. Virginia high school soccer player that comes out by dancing with homecoming king
- In the Center Circle chats with Brienne Smith article about her playing and coaching careers, and her work as an LGBT advocate
- A LBGT FAQ that helps answer some of your everyday questions