Get aHEAD Safely in Soccer™
Get aHEAD Safely in Soccer™ Online Diploma Course
“Eliminating head injuries in soccer is likely impossible, but reducing exposure to injury and, therefore, enhancing player safety is definitely not.” –Ian Barker, United Soccer Coaches Director of Coaching Education
United Soccer Coaches has launched Get aHEAD Safely in Soccer™, the first interactive online course developed to educate coaches on how to teach safer heading techniques for players ages 11-13. This 30-minute course is free and available to anyone and everyone interested in heading safety.
In November 2015, U.S. Soccer announced that as part of increasing the safety of players, there should be no heading in games or practice for any players at U11 and a limited amount of heading for U12 & U13. But as players start entering that age group with no heading exposure, coaches are seeking direction on how to best bring them up to speed on this key aspect of the game.
In developing the course, United Soccer Coaches teamed with the University of Delaware Concussion Research Laboratory as a science partner. Where soccer technique leaves off, the science of strength and conditioning comes in with neck and core strengthening. The course also includes a video introduction from U.S. Women’s Soccer veteran Abby Wambach.
EARN YOUR GET AHEAD SAFELY IN SOCCER™ DIPLOMA NOW
GET AHEAD SAFELY IN SOCCER™ PARTICIPANTS WILL:
- Discover 5 practical ways to decrease the risk of concussions in soccer
- Learn key coaching points for proper heading technique and training drills
- Understand the techniques for the correct practice of “attacking” and “defensive” headers
- Explore a series of interactive videos for neck and core strengthening exercises
- Increase player safety by understanding head impact sensor technology and how it can be used to validate and enforce proper heading technique
- Receive a United Soccer Coaches Diploma awarded upon completion